Thursday, August 11, 2011

When Bad News is Good News

Last spring, I agreed to teach a "Travel to Germany & Poland" class for a local homeschool co-op. At the time, I was really desperate to get as many classes in as possible, because this co-op is a good 45 minute drive in each direction, and if I only have one class, I'm pretty much just paying for gas. Not a winning proposition.

So this sounded really good. A chance to use some more of my German, and to actually get to go to Europe! Wooo! But even then, there was a little voice in the back of my head, whispering, "this is going to be a LOT of work, and you'll need to raise a LOT of money."

By last week, I had gotten to the point where I was dreading the very thought of that class. What was I thinking? The fundraising aspect alone would double the amount of work involved, which would certainly mean MORE driving.

So when the middle school coordinator called the other day to say that unfortunately, some of the kids had scheduling conflicts and had to drop, and did I still want to teach it with just two kids, I was able to honestly say that I didn't think it would work out. I really feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Yes, I still have a lot of prep to do to get ready for September, but knowing that I don't have to deal with planning and finding funding for a group of teens to go to Europe makes things much easier.

In this case, the payoff of losing something is much smaller than what's gained.

Song on my iPod that I skip more than any other: Taylor Swift's "Story of Us". (added it on someone's recommendation)

No comments: