Sunday, August 21, 2011

Home Ec

Both girls like to cook and sew, so making that a part of lessons wasn't a tough choice.

They're going to alternate weeks. So one week, Sarah will have a night where she cooks dinner, and Lauren will have a sewing project. The following week, they'll switch.

Planned sewing projects:
  • Heated Cuddle Buddy - we all love those microwaveable heating pads in the winter; this particular variation is a little more challenging because of all the curves, but the cuteness factor kicks it up

  • Scrap Swaddle Blanket - probably the most basic of blankets, and they've both already made something similar

  • Hobo Sack - cute basic backpack

  • Lunch Bag - we do already have a few lunch bags of this style, and Sarah would die for a tiffin, but it never hurts to have extras, and being able to choose your own fabric and embellishments is always a plus.

  • Winter Fleece Hat - cute and useful, and I might make one for myself!

  • Travel Tissue Holder - definitely the easiest and fastest project

  • Pajama pants - we'll buy a pattern for this

Not all of the projects will be for them to necessarily keep. I'll especially encourage them to donate the blankets they make.

The cooking aspect is that they're allowed to cook whatever they want, but it has to be something I can do (so when Lauren announced she wanted to do sushi for her first week, I suggested spring rolls instead), and they have to understand the nutrition aspects--Sarah's first week request is biscuits & gravy, so that should be a very interesting lesson!

Song I had no idea Sarah likes, but that I heartily approve of: Joan Jett's "I Love Rock n Roll."

No comments: