Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Lentil Soup and Corndog Poppers

When we were at the Renaissance Festival, the kids got corn dogs.  I love corn dogs when they're fresh hot & crispy from the fryer.  When I thought about Lentil Soup, of course I tried to think of an "incentive" to go with it. Mini cornbread muffins sounded good, and I decided to put a slice of hot dog in the middle for fun.  It was a big hit, but not without its flaws. For one thing, the hot dog being in just one slice meant that when you take a bite, the whole bit of hot dog comes out.  I think it would have worked better (but not the same effect) if I'd chopped them up into the batter. 

While I was making the soup, though, I had an even better idea.  I started with some bacon, and as I was taking it out of the pan, was struck with the thought that bacon in cornbread muffins would be insanely delicious.  I almost scrapped the entire hot dog aspect right there, but the bacon was destined for the soup.  Next time, though.

The soup itself was good, but (as usual) I liked it better than anyone else and will happily be eating the leftovers for lunches this week.

Lentil Soup
4 slices bacon, cut up
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup beef broth (all I had left)
3 cups water (should have been 5 cups in order to be "soupier")
2 teaspoons Vegetable Better Than Bullion
1 1/2 cup dry lentils
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt & pepper to taste

Start by frying the bacon--use a big stock pot.  When it's cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for about 45 minutes. Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each (if I'd used more water, I could have had it for 8 servings, still a cup each and it would have been more like a soup than a stew). 190 calories, 26 carbs, 7 g fat, 18 g protein, 12 g fiber, 4 g sugar.

No comments: