Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hat Girl

For Sarah's birthday, we went to The Henry Ford. We all had a great time, as always, though we almost missed the Rosa Parks Freedom Bus. Jeff & I agreed that since we hadn't seen it anywhere, it must have been a temporary exhibit. We told her that the easiest way to settle it was to ask a docent, who happily told her that it was just on the other side of a wall not too far away. So there, Mom & Dad! (no, she didn't really say that, but I bet she thought it)

Since it happened to be a free admission day, we told her she could get something small from the gift shop. She almost got a t-shirt with "When you can do the common things of life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." George Washington Carver on it, but eventually went for a Union Civil War soldier's cap.

That girl and hats. Last year, on her Girl Scout trip to Mackinac, she got a coonskin cap. The leaders assured me that it was faux, and yes, you can tell that the cap itself is synthetic, but I swear you can feel bones in the tail part. (shudder) When she was about 3, I did a whole page in her scrapbook of her in various hats. Many of my favorite pictures are of her in hats.

On the way home, I said, "I don't think Sarah's going to be a doctor when she grows up. (a frequently voiced ambition when she was younger) I don't think she's going to be a doctor, or a minister, or a botanist, or a baker. I think she's going to be a milliner." After a discussion of what a milliner does, she responded, "I'm not going to be a milliner. I'm going to be a minister . . . who likes hats."

2 comments:

Amy said...

This blog entry especially made me smile. You are a wonderful teacher, and your girls are such receptive learners. I'm glad you post about your adventures, because they are inspiring.

My son and your daughter would get along quite well with their love of hats. K is into all things war and soldier, so we got him a Civil War musket (fake, of course) and a Union hat (not the best quality, but it does the job). We visited a state park battlefield in 2009 for a Civil War expo. One day, we'll go for the battle reenactment.

Kimmer said...

My brother used to do Civil War reenactments--I think I only went once to one of those. Of course, we participated in the mountain man rendezvous every year when I was in high school out West!