Thursday, September 15, 2011

Stay Home Soup

Today, I teach four classes at a homeschool co-op.  That's great, but I not only miss dinner at home, I leave way too early to eat here at home. It's not a solid four hour block, either.  Then take a 45 minute break in the middle for dinner, and there is an hour or two that I don't have class before my last one.

What do I do to kill that time?  I thought about going for a walk. The building is at a church out in the middle of farm country (a corn field is right next to the parking lot), so it's a dirt road. It's been raining lately, and if the road is muddy, it'll be slippery.  I'm a hazard to myself on regular pavement--any more negative conditions rule that option out. I could stay in and read a book. I don't know anyone there well enough to plan on being chatty, so bringing something is a good idea.

What about dinner? The temptation to head to McDonald's is very strong.  Say what you will about their food, but when the fries are fresh and hot, there's nothing better. So I need something tasty enough to counteract the pull of the fries. 

Soup to the rescue!  Yes, really.  Don't be hatin' on soup, y'all.  Warm, hearty and comforting is nothing to sneer at, especially when the weather takes a turn for the "how can it be so bleeping cold when it was 95 degrees a week and a half ago?" That it's quick and easy to make is just gravy, so to speak.

Normally, I would start with two slices of bacon, diced.  But the hassle of dealing with floppy raw meat while in a cast is more than you might think, and today, I can't be bothered. Put 1/4 cup diced onions, 1/4 chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped carrots, 1 cup of diced potatoes, a clove of garlic, and 2 cups of chicken stock in a pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft.  (At this point, I sometimes get fussy and fish out the carrots so they stay chunky, but that's not necessary at all.) Use an immersion blender to smooth things out to your desired consistency. I like it with a little texture, which is why I sometimes keep the carrots out until I'm done with the blender. Today, I was in a hurry, so my soup is rather orange from the carrots, which doesn't bother me. Sometimes I add some milk, but not always.  Check for taste.  Depending on your stock/broth, it might need salt. Black pepper is a must; sometimes hot sauce also makes an appearance.

Stats: 196 calories, 44 carbs, 2 g fat, 8 g protein, 7 g fiber. The protein is a little low, but I'm taking some almonds with me to help round things out. I think I'll throw an apple in, as well.  Works for me!

No comments: