For each state, we read one of the alphabet series (M is for Mitten, L is for Last Frontier, G is for Grand Canyon). I also like the Welcome to the USA series, Portraits of the States, and Rookie Read About Geography. The Rookie series is a pretty easy level for Sarah; I like mixing it up a little, and a lot of the other books are considerably more difficult. We also used the Enchanted Learning site regularly.
I'm also trying to get as much fiction that relates to the state as I can. I came across a list from Scholastic last year, of books that "go with" each state, broken down by grades. It was a great find, but some of the books leave something to be desired. See the Yak Yak is a fun book, but I don't see what it has to do with Alabama. So I'm adding to the list as I go. Last week, for Pennsylvania, it was Shoo-Fly Girl by Lois Lensky. We're almost done with it. With longer chapter books like that, I'll usually read her a chapter at night, and then she'll go and read some more before she goes to sleep. I got Brighty of the Grand Canyon for Arizona this week, and that is a long book! We'll be doing Oklahoma next week, and I doubt we'll be done with Brighty by then, so we'll skip a long book for that one. I try to get more short/picture books that she can read to Lauren.
For each state, she
- fills in a blank map, and draws the flag, describing it a little.
- does a spider graph with basic information: capital city, climate, resources, landmarks, etc.
- answers ten questions that came from the non-fiction books we've used. She's allowed to look at the books for the answers.
Last week, we also tied Home Ec into Pennsylvania. I found Amish Cooking for Kids, so we made a couple of recipes. We did have some limitations, though. The oven is still unreliable, so that let out making bread. There were several other recipes that called for using the microwave--not so Amish, methinks. We ended up making Vanilla Pudding on the stove. It tasted ok, but sadly, was not as smooth as it should have been.
I'm going to start making extra credit available as well. I borrowed a book called Geography Challenge, which has 190 questions. I've copied about 45 of them so far, and am going to print them on little slips of paper, then put them all in a container. She can pull one out and try to figure out the answer. Some of the questions require map work, but others will let her try some internet research skills.
It's a rather superficial study (just sounds really complicated), but I think it's fine for this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment