Sunday, July 28, 2013

Travelogue: Rocky Mountain National Park

 When it came to planning the Colorado leg of the trip, I had heard a lot about Rocky Mountain National Park, and really wanted to go, in spite of not really knowing much about it. It's a beautiful place, but if we'd had the time (and stamina!) to do some real hiking, I think we would have enjoyed it even more. If we want to go back there next time we go out west, I'll need to do some training first.
 Lauren got to do another Junior Ranger program; this one was one of the easiest but also one of the best, I thought.  I admit, I was dubious at first, when I saw the ranger reading the kids "Where the Wild Things Are."  Seriously:  huh?

Taking the ranger oath.
But then they all went out for a nature walk and I heard him talking about the wild things all around them and also calling the kids wild things, so it made more sense.  On their walk, they used four of their senses to explore the world in the park. At the end, the ranger made a point of mentioning the sense they didn't use:  taste, of course.
Beaver pelt.


 We also drove around a bit and enjoyed the views, but didn't get out and do much, aside from the girls climbing around on some of the rocks.
 

No comments: