The first place was the Yankee Fork Dredge. Although the dredge was around, along with the resulting ponds, when we were in Idaho, you couldn't tour it.
That said, one summer weekend when I was 15-ish, I went camping with my friend Deena and her mom (Karen--the cook at the ranch the first year we went and the nicest lady ever), stepdad (Harry) & grandma. We went fishing in the dredge ponds, ducking whenever we saw a truck go by, because we only had one fishing license among us, and caught a good 30 or 40 fish. Her mom cooked those fish for dinner, and it was one of the best meals I'd ever had. Her grandma found a puffball mushroom and blithely ate a piece, while we freaked out and waited for her to keel over dead. She was fine, of course. Karen & Harry slept in the camper, but the rest of us were in sleeping bags under the stars. Until it started to downpour sometime after midnight, that is. Deena didn't budge, but her grandma & I ran for the truck to get out of the rain. We all had a damn good time.
So the dredge was fun, although we didn't take the tour itself. The guide was hanging around outside, so we talked with him for about 20 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment