For Reading, we're using a site called Book Adventure. It has quizzes on different books, both fiction and nonfiction, and you get points. You can cash in the points for prizes at the site, but we are just coming up with our own prizes. We started doing this in May, and Sarah has read 101 books as of today. She's earned a badminton set, a snorkel, swim fins & mask, computer games, and a magazine subscription. The quizzes are weighted by age, and if you don't get enough questions right on the first try, you get a second chance. I like that there is already a substantial bank of quizzes, although sometimes I question how they level them. Some books seem like they should be considered higher, and some seem too high.
When we go to the library, I take a list of books that I know have quizzes, which requires a bit of work ahead of time. I maintain a list, print it out whenever we go, and add to it when I have time. I also maintain a list of all the books she's read, or I'd be getting the same things out again and again, because I can't keep track. We also get out a longer book for me to read to her at night. We've been doing a lot of the Ramona Quimby books, which she likes, but I don't think she realizes that someone else in this house will probably identify with Ramona more than she does, at least eventually.
For English, we're working on Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives. We've been spending more time on these than I thought we would, because Sarah's having a hard time with them. We've recently added Common and Proper Nouns into the mix.
English Basics has a lot of good stuff, as does ABCTeach.com. Grammar Gorillas and Noun Dunk are good for practice. Naturally, IKnowThat.com also has lots of stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment