. . . are still sometimes all for naught.
Last week, I was planning to get some sorely needed new clothes on Thursday, while the kids were with my Dad, but I felt kind of miserable/sick, so didn't.
I then planned to go out on Saturday, but it was snowy and cold, Sarah was getting over being sick, and Lauren was starting to get sick, so I didn't leave the house. I know, Michigan in January, what did I expect?
I planned to make Pioneer Woman's Easy Mulligatawny last night. The kids like my curry, the soup sounded good to me, and I had chicken & broth. Let's reexamine the first part of that sentence: the kids like my curry. If it ain't broke, don't fix it; how many times have I said that? And yet, I tried someone else's reinvention of the wheel. Needless to say, the kids didn't care for it, and asked why I didn't just make curry.
On the bright side, I haven't made that in a while, so that's one less thing I have to think up for dinner next week.
It's an odd curry, more Caribbean than Indian. Sure, it starts with onions & garlic, and is seasoned with ginger, curry, cinnamon, & cayenne, but there are no other vegetables, and it does have apples, pineapple, coconut, and bananas. It gets thinned down with cream, and although I usually make it over rice, the kids are most excited when I take a little extra time and make spaetzle, or spƤtzli, as they're called in Switzerland, which is where I got the recipe in the first place.
9 comments:
I am trying so hard to imagine those ingredients all in one dish, and I'm failing. I don't think I've ever eaten a main course dish that had bananas or coconut in it. Ah, well, now that we're going local, I guess I never will.
We got dumped with snow over the weekend, the kids have a cough *again*, and it's -12C. Hurrah for January. :D We haven't left the house all day - at least it means my Spending Challenge post will be easy!
It is an odd dish--kids like it because it's spicy & sweet at the same time.
We're all sick and kind of hunkered down in the house, too. I've already used up almost all the elderberry syrup I bought last week.
Here's to everyone feeling better soon!
Wait, does "going local" entail: no coffee? No tea? No CHOCOLATE? What about flour and yeast? I should start a list of foods that are locally available around here, hmmm . . .
When I first discovered the "locavore" movement, I thought the same thing - coffee, sugar, spices! How could anyone live a completely local diet, especially in Canada?
The more I thought, the more I realized that no one EVER has. Ancient Mesopotamia traded spices with Asia 4000 years ago. However - the trader arrived once a year or so, and you made sure you got enough or you did without.
The only things I use that are from far away are dried goods that are easily transported, sometimes by ship. Coffee, sugar, molasses, spices, salt, stuff like that. And of course they're all things that I can buy in bulk and store. Oh, oranges at Christmastime - LOL - Canadians have been doing that for at least a hundred years.
I gotta tell you, when the first fruits appear this spring, we will be so happy to see them.
Don't think I'm perfect, though! I said, "going local", not that we're already there. It's a work in progress.
I get the work in progress part--it's all any of us can do. The family I nannied for in Switzerland has a tradition that they wouldn't buy Clementines until Christmas, which the little girl really hated--all her friends had then all the time!
I wonder if she grew up to appreciate oranges as a rare treat?
At any rate, as things are going, it might what our children and grandchildren know.
All night I thought I was going to take our preschooler to the doctor today because of a hacking cough all night. Now, I'm thinking preschool - the cough has disappeared and "Explosion" is living up to the nickname, bouncing all over the house!
Glad Explosion is back up to speed! Miraculously, mine is also better this morning, being fever-free for the first time since Saturday.
I think I spoke too soon. The preschool told me, in no uncertain terms, that the cough has not gone away, but it only shows up during sleep, and a visit to the doctor is in order. The "Bad Mommy!" was silent but understood.
LOL So that will be my plans for tomorrow morning.
Can you please post a more specifc recipe?
Post a Comment