Monday, January 03, 2011

Feeding the Family

I always say, "I'm not a short order cook. I make one meal. I hope you like it. If not, there's always tomorrow." That said, there are those nights when I make a couple different choices. A lot of this is for my own sake--if I want chicken, I need to make sure Jeff has another option. And of course, Sarah & Lauren have very different tastes. Lauren is the carnivore, and Sarah is the carbo-girl.

Case in point over the weekend. I threw some chicken leg quarters in a roasting pan with some lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt & pepper, and roasted them. I liked them, Lauren really liked them, Sarah barely finished hers. I picked the rest of the meat off the bones and stashed it in the refrigerator. Last night, Lauren requested chicken, and when I asked what else she wanted, heard "Carrots." Sarah made herself soup from some stock, carrots, onions & celery. She didn't add any pasta or rice, but she did go a little overboard on the pepper. She loves grinding up pepper in her mortar & pestle, but this was so much that she couldn't finish the soup.

Both girls like to cook, and are slowly building their culinary skills. Cooking, Nutrition, and healthy meal planning are definitely going to be major themes in this semester's school work!

No comments: