I watched the first of the three debates between Jennifer Granholm and Dick DeVos last night (they're running for govenor of Michigan). I didn't know much about DeVos going in, other than he'd "sent jobs to China" (according to ads) and he was in favor of teaching intelligent design in science classrooms in addition to evolution (according to a newspaper article) (that one irks the hell out of me--it's insulting to both science and God).
After watching the debate, I still feel like I don't know a lot about him. I thought his repeated use of the word "disappointing" when confronted with accusations was weak. I think that Granholm's attack on his involvement with Alterra (nursing homes where abuse took place) was nasty--if she had kept it to "he didn't make full disclosure of his tax records," she would have done better. Also, he's rather more conservative than I am, although that seems to be the case for a lot of people.
I thought Granholm gave better answers, and seemed more passionate (also, she actually referred to the constitution! what a concept!). The main thing she has against her is her track record. Michigan is in bad shape. She can't be solely blamed for the high unemployment--the auto industry is getting hit hard, and that's been our big thing for a long time. She also blamed Republicans for a lot of things. You know, if she'd been able to talk more about what she'd accomplished, I think she wouldn't have much to worry about. As it is, I think that Michiganders are so ready for a change that we're willing to take anyone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment