I watch my fair share of TV, but most of the time, I can take it or leave it. I haven't really had "appointment TV" since the heyday of X-files, and that verged on legendary. The first two seasons of that show, I had a standard open Friday night invitation to all my friends that they could come over to have dinner and watch the best hour of TV on. Sadly, that era ended long before the show did.
I am officially hooked on Lost (ABC, Wednesdays, 8PM). I love the mystery of "what the hell is going on?" and I love learning about the characters through the flashbacks. I'm equally entraced with all the story lines, and am a sucker for the gimmicks. I actually yelled, "Charlie, throw it in the fire!" when he got his baggie of heroin back from Locke. Everyone else may have seen it coming a mile away, but I wasn't sure he'd do it. I buy into every scene.
But the higher they climb, the farther they have to fall. I worry that I'm getting caught up in another show that can't live up to its buildup. (Chris Carter, I'm looking at you.) I don't really believe that the show will be able to sustain its current level of edge-of-my-seat interest. I've found myself wishing that the show was committed to be a year only. Then we'd know it would end, and we would get answers. I hate it when a show never answers any of its own enigmatic questions. I never liked X-files mytharc episodes, aside from Alex Krychek, because I just couldn't keep track of all the convoluted details.
I also worry that once they do solve the mystery (assuming they ever do), it will be a huge letdown. The individual imagination is more powerful than anything the writers will be able to come up with. So far, we've only gotten bits and pieces, so speculation is rampant, and the possibilities are endless. I avoid spoilers for this show, so that each show unfolds on its own. It's like hoarding the Godiva truffles I get for my birthday.
I really hope this show can keep it up - I miss having TV that I can compulsively overanalyze and obsess on every detail. For as long as it lasts, I'm going to enjoy the ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment