When I started reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham, I enjoyed it right away. This was a family I felt I knew. Hey, complaining about the cold during a Michigan winter is something I can really get behind. Getting teased for being smart--I remember those days. As I kept reading, I had a feeling Lauren might not like it too much--she hates it when kids are mean to each other--but I thought I might have found one of our road trip audio books.
Then I got to the end. I thought, "You idiot! Didn't you read the title? The Watsons. Go. To. Birmingham. 1963. How did you think it was going to end?!?!" Yeah.
I still think it's a good book, a book I'd like to keep on my shelves. I'm still going to recommend it to the girls. But I'm not going to recommend it this summer, so soon after the Boston bombing. Also, I have no idea how to deal with the "How can people be so monstrous" question. When we get to Lord of the Flies, I think I'll be OK. When it's time for Anne Frank, not so much.
I really want to find something fun and light to read next, but we have a lot to do to get ready for that road trip, so I should take a break for a bit. When I get going on a new book, I tend to ignore other responsibilities.
Edited to add study guides:
This is a very long, very thorough guide, designed for a classroom setting. A lot of good activities here.
http://lwinliteracy92011.wikispaces.com/file/view/The%20Watson%27s%20Go%20to%20Birmingham%20-%20Lit%20Unit.pdf
Scholastic also has a very long guide that has a lot of background information but also some good chapter review questions and follow up activities.
http://clay-chalkville.jefcoed.com/Teachers/brittanybullard/Lists/Announcements/Attachments/8/watsons%20scholastic%20reading%20guide.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment