Another mystery, Stewart's The Mysterious Benedict Society one is definitely more engaging for kids. It also has a lot more going on. Hound of the Baskervilles was more straightforward, with one mystery and everything leading toward it. Mysterious Benedict Society feels more like several mysteries that intertwine. My only complaint is that the ending was a little pat; things tied up a little too smartly for me, but I think that's more common with younger fiction.
One thing that I thought was quite mature was the concept of thought control and media, almost as a precursor to 1984 ("The missing aren't missing, they're only departed."). Yes, I've been thinking about 1984 more lately, and plan to read it again soon. I also like the struggles the kids went through, especially when Reynie was questioning himself and the power of The Whisperer. I'm going to recommend this one for both girls as a fun summer read.
Is it a keeper? Yes, it would stay on a pretty high shelf, but it's not a "never sell" like The Phantom Tollbooth, Little Women, or Watership Down.
No comments:
Post a Comment