Confession: I'm a stress eater. I eat when I'm stressed or bored. Carbs are my method of choice. Carbs, that is, that are loaded with fat & salt. Rice, potatoes, bread--I can eat huge amounts. Butter is a welcome accompaniment.
I used to walk my stress off, though, which actually was more effective. Eating really doesn't make me feel better once the food is gone. If I walk long enough, I will feel better.
Example: at my last full time job, at a major auto company that shall remain nameless but rhymes with "bored," my boss made me crazy on a regular basis. It got so that I would walk around the outside of the building just so I could stand the sight of him. One time, I was headed back into the building when I realized that I was still ready to kill him. I did another round, and when I came back, I was truly calm again.
I used to love going for walks in the mornings. The quiet was a huge bonus back then. I've been feeling the urge to walk again now that I'm eating better, but it's cold out there! And snowy and icy and some of the sidewalks are flooded.
As we say around here, "Suck it up, buttercup."
I went for a walk with the kids this afternoon. Lauren took her scooter, and we did have to cross the street once to avoid a small lake, but we were gone for half an hour, which was really nice.
Our forecast is for rain/snow later this week, but my goal is to get out for a walk at least twice more. I love my umbrella, so why not? It can't do anything but make life better.
No comments:
Post a Comment