Saturday, April 10, 2010

Quilting Lessons

I'm making a t-shirt quilt for someone at church, and it's been a true learning experience. I'm hoping to make some more, even as a home business. As a first try, it's turning out ok, but I plan for next time to go a lot better.

Things I've learned:
  • make a point of cutting everything very accurately
  • cut the interfacing a lot bigger than you need; it's easier to trim it after than not have enough
  • make sure edges are even before you sew them together
  • go ahead and pin, even if you don't think you need to (see previous)
  • iron seams as you go
  • don't bother with iron-on batting--you won't save any time or effort over pinning in traditional batting (from now on, I'm getting Warm & Natural 100% cotton)
  • buy twice as much thread as you normally would
  • tear, don't cut, the selvage edges off
Will post a picture of the finished quilt once it's all done!

No comments: