Exercise does more than build muscles and help prevent heart disease. New science shows that it also boosts brainpower—and may offer hope in the battle against Alzheimer's.Toward the end of the article, it also mentions the link between exercise for kids and greater learning potential. So why are so many schools cutting PE and recess?
Anyway, I've been planning to start getting out for more walks. Like, half hour walks with the kids every day before lunch, and whole family walks after dinner, if I'm not working. It's good for Jeff's cholesterol, good for my weight and stress levels, and good for all of us in general.
One of the past impediments is that a "half hour walk" frequently turns into an hour and a half production. Finding shoes takes forever. We meet someone and chat once we're out and about. I give in to pleas that we stop at the playground. That eats up a big chunk of the day, and on days that I work or that we have other stuff going on (dance, library, etc.), I don't always want to take up that time. In spite of all that, I need to make it happen.
Now, if it would just stop snowing . . .
1 comment:
Hi,
Karen D. here from Dartmouth. I am getting started too. Walking is really good for cardio and just loosing the leg lumps! (smile)
Best wishes as you get started, Sunday is my day.
Post a Comment