Monday, October 07, 2013

Month of Crazy Sewing, Part 1

This is the (very rough) muslin of Sarah's coat. No sleeves, and no lining, but it was more to figure out those wonky pockets and check for size anyway.

I had a bad moment where I realized that Sarah, tall as she is, doesn't necessarily fit into the smaller pattern size. I really should have measured her better and looked at the pattern before I bought it; it was a bad assumption. I adjusted by using quarter inch seams instead of 5/8ths. This made it big enough across the back, but meant that the shoulders had to be adjusted, and the pocket flap didn't work right. That's the whole point of making a muslin first, right?  To figure out how to do it right when you're working on the final fabric.  I might make the pieces all a bit wider to give me a little more wiggle room.  And I need to make sure I use the sharp scissors and cut the notches when I do the real thing, starting tomorrow.  I still don't understand how to do the lining at all.

However, she does love it and is excited at the prospect of the finished garment.

Total time so far, spent cutting out pattern pieces, muslin fabric, and sewing 15 seams: about 4 hours. 

No comments: