Thursday, August 07, 2008

"Already I am zee (hic!) pickled."

Another confluence of events happened this week.
  • I brought the jar of kosher dill pickles to the table for dinner only to discover that there were two left. It wasn't a big jar, but Jeff hadn't had a chance to have any, and I don't like dill pickles, so my two lovelies must have been inhaling them.
  • We got a bunch of smallish cucumbers from our neighbor (hi, Kelsey!).
  • I saw this blog post.
Well, obviously I'm going to make some pickles! I got some mustard seed from the store, and some dill from a friend who has it growing in her back yard (hi, Meagan!). I cleaned out a good sized Rubbermaid container, cut up the cukes, and followed the directions.

As I said before, I generally don't care for dill pickles. My Grandma's bread and butter pickles are a different story--now that's a recipe I need! But as I was cutting up the dill and garlic, and putting it all together, it all smelled so good! I thought, "Mmmm, I'm going to have to try these!"

The whole thing also reminded me of one of my favorite Bug Bunny cartoons, quoted in the title here. It's on YouTube, and still as much fun to watch now as when I was a kid. And I know I'd love to have the recipe for Louisiana Back Bay Bayou Bunny Bordelais' ala Antoine.

I let them sit for just a day before I decided to see how they were. I was just about to leave for work (hi, Jill!), and I fished one out of the brine and took a bite.

O.M.G.

It was disgusting! Salty and garlicky and nasty! On a chance, I offered the rest to Sarah. "Yummy!" she said, popping it in her mouth as she ran out the door. Since I didn't hear any exclamations of revulsion, I paused. Maybe they aren't terrible. Maybe it's just me. Then the babysitter came over (hi again, Kelsey!) and I told her about them. She took a bite and as her eyes rolled back in her head, she said, "These are amazing! I have more cucumbers; will you make some for me, too?"

So . . . just me, then. I'm glad, but also kind of let down. I was really looking forward to those pickles, but at least I know someone likes them and I don't have to throw away the whole container.

1 comment:

Meegan said...

I can't believe they didn't turn out.
Well...maybe it wasn't meant to be ;)