Monday, June 23, 2008

Opportunity + Nerves = Excitement

My crazy schedule is about to slow down to almost a complete halt. Two of my classes finish this week, along with dance. My last class will continue for 4 - 6 more weeks, but sporadically. This is good, because I'll have more time. But the other side of that coin is that I'll be bringing in less money.

I've been trying to figure out how to generate other income streams. One way (that will hopefully pay for our vacation in September) is to create small, basic web sites for local businesses. No e-commerce, no inventory. Just basic, informational sites that don't need frequent upgrades. I've been working on one for quite a while, but there have been a few hang ups. Hopefully it will be ready to go live soon. Then I'll be able to use that as an example of what I can do. If I can get five clients, that should cover us.

The other thing I've been giving a lot of thought to is classes through our community center. I'd like to do German, Computers, and seminars for parents who are interested in improving their kids' educational experiences. I've also thought about Reading classes, but those are a much larger amount of work.

The issue right now is that the community center doesn't have much of a computer lab. The computer classes that I'm teaching right now (through a community center for a neighboring suburb) got a grant, and they have a very nice computer lab, even though there isn't a projector, with does make things more difficult. Anyway, I saw in the paper that Jenny Jones (of talk show fame) was giving out grants of $25K each. That would definitely be enough to outfit a rockin' computer lab, as well as pay for a Nerd Herd guy to do maintenance, and an instructor or two. I have a feeling that free computer classes (for kids and adults) would fill up pretty quickly, you know?

I'd still have to charge for German and anything else I wanted (unless I could get another grant, hmmm).

I still need to talk to the community center some more about my plans and ideas, but I think this could be a really good fit for me. Now I just need to make it happen.

No comments: