Monday, January 22, 2007

Book Review

Frozen Assets Lite and Easy: How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month

I posted a while ago that I wanted to get the freezer stocked up so that getting dinner on the table would be easier, so I checked this book out of the library. I didn't realize that it was the Lite version, and that many of the recipes would be based on tofu, eggplant, and tuna. I did make the Turkey Divan (with boneless pork chops, of course). Jeff & I thought it was ok, but neither of the girls liked it, so I won't bother to make it again.

I also made the pork stir fry. I know it's traditional to coat the meat in cornstarch, but the coating ended up being a little heavy, and the sauce had way too much cornstarch in it. Next time I make it, I'll just use my own sauce as usual, although I might dust some of the meat with cornstarch, just to see if leaving the egg wash out makes a difference. Jeff said he prefers regular stir fry anyway.

There's one more recipe I wanted to try (Lime Marinated Pork Chops), but I don't have a lot of hope for it, frankly. I still haven't given up on bulk cooking--I've got a pork loin that I had sliced into chops ready to be individually wrapped, and I made a bunch of meatballs Saturday night. Still, it would be nice to be able to add some new recipes to the mix. I'm going to keep looking at the library. I've found a lot of online recipes, but those often don't seem to match our tastes, either.

No comments: