Thursday, June 02, 2005

"What make me crazy," in three parts

Part One:
It makes me crazy when the program I'm teaching is not only NOT the version I know, it is NOT the version for which I have a book. This not only makes it harder for the students to learn the program, it makes me feel utterly incompetent. This is worse still when it happens not once, but twice. So far.

Part Two:
It makes me crazy when I leave a voicemail for someone, asking for information for a third party (pricing on the yearbooks), and that person calls the third party to work it out with them. Hey, I'm thrilled to be eliminated as the middleman, but it would be nice if someone thought to tell me about it. You know, keep me in the loop.

Part Three:
It makes me crazy when my own words come back to haunt me. "Always have someone proofread your work," I tell my students. "They will always catch something you missed." Last night, as I was on my way out to teach in the evening, I got a call from the principal, telling me there were some typos in the yearbook. "Which pages?" I asked with alarm. "Too many to mention." So this morning, instead of taking Sarah to the library to get her library card, I get to go back to school to find my errors, fix them, resave them, and resend them.

On a good note, I talked to the woman who is printing the yearbook last night, and she is totally on top of things, so although we're going to have to forgo the color proof due to time constraints, we should get all the books by Tuesday. I am really nervous about this, though, worrying that she won't have the most recent version of all the pages. I'm tempted to resend all 48 pages, just to be sure, but that would truly take forever and a day, especially if I have to do it from the school's old, slow machine.

Unfortunately, this also makes Jeff crazy. "Why do they have a substitute doing all this? You bite off too much." Agreeing with him doesn't really help the situation.

1 comment:

Miss Arrogant said...

That would make me crazy too.